Tuesday, January 27, 2015

TSA Notice Concerning TWIC Card Delay

Today, January 27, 2015, the Transportation Security Adminstration posted the following notice on its website at http://www.tsa.gov/stakeholders/transportation-worker-identification-credential-twic

NEW!  TWIC Processing Delays: Currently, some TWIC applicants are experiencing delays of more than 75 days to receive their TWIC.  We regret any inconvenience or difficulty this may be causing, and are working diligently to reduce the time it takes to process all TWIC applications.  The delay mentioned above applies to applications that involve criminal history records or immigration status that must be verified, although others may also experience a delay.  We strongly encourage all applicants to apply for their TWIC at least 10 to 12 weeks prior to when the card will be required to avoid inconvenience or interruption in access to maritime facilities.

Monday, January 5, 2015

New TWIC Enrollment Requirements for U.S.-Born TWIC Applicants

Sometime over the holidays, TSA posted the following on the TSA TWIC website:


Starting on July 1, 2015 Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC®) applicants who were born in the United States, and who claim U.S. citizenship, must provide documents to prove their citizenship.  Applicants need to bring one document from List A, or two documents from List B as shown below.

Until July 1, 2015 TWIC applicants who were born in the U.S. may continue to certify that they are U.S. citizens by checking the box on the electronically signed TWIC application and bring documents as listed on the UES website here.

TSA is making this change to align TWIC proof-of-citizenship requirements with those of other TSA programs such as the Hazardous Material Endorsement and TSA Pre✓ programs.  Requiring proof of citizenship at the time of enrollment will ensure that all TWIC applicants meet eligibility requirements for the credential.

Acceptable Documentation Providing Proof of U.S. Citizenship

List A:  Bring one of the following:
• Unexpired U.S. Passport (book or card) – demonstrates U.S. Citizenship
• Unexpired U.S. Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) – demonstrates U.S. Citizenship if indicated on card
• Unexpired Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC) – demonstrates U.S. Citizenship
• Unexpired Free and Secure Trade (FAST) Card – demonstrates U.S. Citizenship if indicated on the card
• Unexpired NEXUS Card – demonstrates U.S. Citizenship if indicated on the card
• Unexpired Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) Card -- demonstrates U.S. Citizenship if indicated on the card
• Unexpired Global Entry Card -- demonstrates U.S. Citizenship if indicated on the card

List B:  Or, bring one of the following plus a government-issued photo ID:
• Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the U.S. bearing an official seal
• U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or 561)
• U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or 570)
• U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
• Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)
• Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545)
• Expired U.S. passport within 12 months of expiration*

*An expired U.S. passport may not be presented by itself. It must be presented with at least one other document (and a name change document if needed).